Thursday, March 11, 2010

Faith



Faith and Hope..

I believe more people act by faith then they are inclined to believe. Actually, I believe when ever anybody acts at all, it is an act of faith.

For example:

If I see a cute girl, I might have hope that she might also be a nice girl! And so I would act and try to get to know her better. This action is called faith, because I do not know for sure whether or not the girl is nice, but I'm willing to find out.

I contrast faith with fear,

If I see a cute girl, I might have fear that she is a mean girl, which causes me to doubt any need to act, and I end up not doing anything.

-Hope leads to faith, which is when we do what ever we can to find out something we don't know. Hope leads us to act.

-Fear leads to doubt, which is when we resist exerting our own energy to find something out. Fear leads us to re-act, or be acted upon. We are literally saying to our environment, "provide me with enough reason to act."

The result of exercising faith is knowledge: by acting and talking to the cute girl, I have discovered, at least for that moment, whether the girl is nice or not.

People act by faith all the time. When ever they have enough hope that their reasons to act become greater than their reasons not to, they take a step into the dark to see what really is out there.

In my terms: "Faith is when we use our light to discover truth. Hope is our motivation for doing so,"

or as it says in scripture:









1 comment:

Tyler said...

Thanks for your thoughts on the relationship between faith, hope, and knowledge. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.