Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Milk Wins Again!


Milk Wins Again!

After discovering how great milk is, I began another study. Of all of the protein heavy foods that I knew of, which one provided the most amount of protein per dollar? My earlier studies showed that potatoes win the carb per dollar count, what about protein? Protein heavy foods tend to be more expensive, tuna, beef, meat, animal products have complete proteins but tend to cost several dollars/lb. After throwing the numbers into my google spreadsheet, the results came back. Lean ground beef was pretty high, with 42 grams of protein per dollar with tuna and eggs trailing not to far behind. Whey protein shake mix from the store offered an impressive 50 grams per dollar. I thought this would be hard to beat. Cottage cheese also contains whey protein, but is rather expensive, providing less than 20 grams per dollar. Then I calculated milk:

Milk: 77 grams of protein per dollar!

Milk wins again!






3 comments:

Tasha said...

Yay milk!

Tasha said...

PS- Found this site and thought you'd like it.

http://timesandseasons.org/

cabobean said...

Thanks, that's interesting!